Saturday, April 4, 2015

Coding on time and bug fixing plus documenting all of it.

This is something weird which I have discovered in me recently in few months, i.e. losing the concentration or enthusiasm in coding. Some of the reason which I can see is the thought that I don't know how am I going to develop this module by coding as because I am not aware of the library classes which is required to develop that part.

Second reason is I find difficulty to solve the bug which occurs in the code, I feel like being sick. Now the wonder is if I go away from the screen of my laptop and design the logic on papers then I will be able to track down the reason of the bug and its solution. But if I stare on the screen I can't focus my mind on coding and fixing the bug. I can't concentrate this way.

Hence, what should I do so that I remain productive. I need to think and design how I am gonna work and complete my task timely.

For the first problem which I am facing, I should get the knowledge of those library classes or read the documentation and write on a piece of paper it's functionality. It would be like summary of the whole learnings. In that way I will get the knowledge that how to build the module and won't get stuck at any point which really makes me frustrated.

The second problem, I am gonna need to do some extra work there, I need to replicate the entire module's logic and its logical dependencies on a paper and then remove the laptop from my desk to work with the paper and find the bug and write down it's possible solution on another paper. This way, I may take longer time to solve a bug, but I won't slag at least, which eventually takes longer.

These piece of paper can later go into the documentation of the project, hence I would be able to develop the module on time (solving my first problem) and removing all the potential bugs from the code (solving my second problem). Along with this, the documentation of the code will be ready too.

Voila`

No comments:

Goals - long term vs short term rewards

 I guess it has started to be clear now that it's the goal which drives a person or else he or she may fall in the grip of the activitie...